Description Accessories Files
THE FT DX 1200 HF/50MHz TransceiverContinuing the Yaesu “FT DX” Legacy of Excellence established decades ago, the FT DX 1200 is designed for the casual operator as well competitive operating situations, whether you primarily operate in Contests, chase DX or enjoy Field operating. The High Frequency Design Technology it has inherited ensures “Best in Class Performance”.The FT DX 1200 provides up to 100 Watts on SSB, CW, FM, and AM (25 Watts carrier) and a rugged state of the art highly balanced receiver circuit configuration for top performance on today’s crowded bands. Similar to the high-end “YAESU FT DX” series, it uses 32-bit high speed floating point DSP for renowned proven performance.A built-in 4.3-in TFT wide full color High Resolution Display with loads of information provides superior operability and visibility for the FT DX 1200 user. A Spectrum Scope located just below the LCD display gives the operator all the information needed to place them at the right place on the band with the right receiver set-up to have a satisfying experience with a casual QSO chat or while digging out a rare desired weak signal contact.Optional Accessories are offered to provide very desirable additional features that make the FT DX 1200 a flexible true high performance platform for all hams – no matter what mode they chose to operate.
160 through 6 Meters - SSB/CW/FM/AM/DigitalWith efficient dimensions of 14.4" x 4.5" x 12.3" (W x H x D) and weighing in at only 20.9 pounds, the FT DX 1200 is a solidly packed transceiver ready to give very high performance on all Amateur Radio bands from 160 to 6 meters.100 Watts of Solid Performance
• General Coverage Reception from 30 kHz to 56 MHz
• FM & AM - Wide and Narrow modes includedThe RF Final Amplifier produces a clean 100 watt (some modes less) transmit signal. A large heat sink is combined with the die cast aluminum chassis for efficient heat dissipation. A cooling fan located beside the final amplifier and the TX Low Pass Filter ventilates the heat away from inside of the transceiver cabinet. This large axial flow fan is mechanically isolated from the chassis to reduce vibration and noise. The speed of the fan is continuously controlled by the temperature of the PA amplifier; starting at 40 degree C.Antenna Tuner IncludedHigh Speed Automatic Antenna Tuner included. The antenna tuner uses LC switching. It has a large capacity 100 channel memory; the tuning data is automatically memorized to reduce tuning time when changing frequency.Smooth Main Tuning Knob FeelThe Main Tuning Knob, made from marchined aluminum parts, has the solid feeling of a largre flyweheel, while being nimble and smooth in operation. Each user may set his/her favorite torque feeling of the Main Dial rotation.USB CapableThe FT DX 1200 can be connected to a PC with a USB cable through the use of an optional SCU-17 Interfeace Unit. This unit will support CAT, USB Audio In/Out, TX control (PTT, Key, Shift), and firmware updates.Remote Control From A Distant LocationExternal control (CAT) is possible using Serial Port or the optional SCU-17 USB Interface Unit. This feature means the FT DX 1200 can be remotely controlled from a distant location!Big TFT Full-Color Display For Superior Operability and VisibilityThe FT DX 1200 presents a wide view angle, high contrast LCD 4.3 inch TFT impressive full color display that provides a convenient view of the radio’s working functions. Superior operability is realized with this convenient display. It permits excellent visibility from different viewpoints. Even with the many FT DX 1200 features and functions, the TFT display makes operation of the radio easy and comfortable.Superior Triple Conversion Receiver
• A Block Diagram Displays RX Signal Path
• Choose Analog Type or Bar Graph Meter
• Separate VFO-A, VFO-B Transmit and Receive Frequency Display
• Bandwidth of the spectrum scope: 20kHz, 50kHz, 100kHz, 200kHz, 500kHz, or 1MHz
• TX and RX markers appear during “spit” operation
• Level Indicator
The function names and the setting levels of the following functions are shown in the TFT main display when a function knob is rotated: Clarifier, Microphone Gain, Speech Processor, SHIFT, WIDTH, KEYER SPEED and CONTOUR
• Cursor Keys
Six keys that are used frequently in normal operation are located at the left side of the TFT display. Other functions can be operated by pressing the "SCOPE" key which changes the "Spectrum Scope screen" to "Function Key Display screen". Even if the radio is turned off, the last operated Key Function is memorized and highlighted.
• Spectrum Scope
The FT DX 1200 has a standard automatic sweeping high speed spectrum scope in line with dial operations. The spectrum scope function that allows for an instant view of the signals, their strengths and distribution within a band is supplied as standard. The spectrum scope sweep function has two modes available: the normal mode, where the band is swept once when the SELECT button is pressed, and the AUTO mode where the band is automatically swept at preset intervals. No receive audio is generated during sweeping, but as sweeping is done at an extremely high speed this is a brief instant of approximately 300 msec. If the operator quickly operates the main dial to make a big frequency change in AUTO mode, an automatic sweep is performed and the display is refreshed. This enables frequency tuning while checking the spectrum in real time. The moment tuning is halted the receive frequency audio is resumed; as no sweeping is performed during slow frequency changes to tune in to another station, there is no interruption to the receive audio. Operation therefore feels natural and is without stress. Additonal scope features include:
1. Six different options: 20 kHz, 50 kHz, 100 kHz, 200 kHz, 500 kHz and 1 MHz.
2. TX and RX markers are displayed in the spectrum scope, enabling the user to confirm the relationship between the receive and transmit frequencies at a glance. This is particularly useful in the case of split operation.
3. Full TFT screen signal spectrum can be viewed in detail by simply pressing the SCOPE key.
• Optional FFT-1 Unit provides the following additional features:
1. AF-FFT (Audio Frequency Fast Fourier Transform) scope.
This AF-FFT function was first demonstrated in the FT DX 9000 series. With this Scope, the audio characteristics of the received signals; the effect of adjusting the RX IF filter performance; and utilizing the QRM rejection features, may be visually observed. It is also possible to observe the TX audio characteristics of your own signal while using the Monitor function. This is very effective for tuning the parametric equalizer for voice characteristics and the microphone audio.
2. RTTY/PSK31 Encode Decode
3. CW Decode
4. CW Auto Zero-inThe FT DX 1200 high performance triple conversion receiver circuit structure enables elimination of unwanted signals through filters at each stage as well as optimized gain distribution.Top Performing Receiver RF Front EndThe receiver front end is exposed to strong signals directly from the antenna. Yaesu engineers carefully selected and tested active elements like the RF amplifier, but also passive circuit components and coils, so that no spurious or unwanted signals are created. By pressing the ATT key on the front panel, the operator picks from four selectable stages of attenuation to attenuate interfering strong signals. The effect of strong out of band interfering signals on the RF amplifier is further reduced by significant attenuation through 8 band pass filters in the FT DX 1200.Effective QRM and QRN RejectionEffective QRM rejection is achieved from the FT DX 1200 IF DSP. The 32-bit high speed floating decimal point DSP, TMS320C6727B (maximum 2800 MIPS/ 2100 MFLOPS) made by Texas Instruments, is used for the IF section of the FT DX 3000. The signal is processed with the high speed 300 MHz clock frequency.Selectable Roofing Filers
• Proven IF WIDTH and IF SHIFT functions provide great QRM rejection performance
With the normal bandwidth, the pass band area can be moved relatively, so that harmful signals are rejected from the pass band
By adjusting the band width, Interfering signals can be removed from both sides of the pass band, without changing the pass band position. The IF width function can make the pass band narrower with one-touch. This function is effective in a pile-up or contest, when the undesired signals are located just above and below the target signal.
The CONTOUR function ideally tailors the received audio signal without changing the bandwidth. The CONTOUR function varies the outline of the IF DSP filter pass band characteristics, and the in-band signal construction can be partially altered. Different from the IF SHIFT or IF WIDTH, the special CONTOUR pass band, can reduce or peak the desired signal, partially and continuously across the pass band. This feature is effective especially when the undesired signal is close to the center frequency.
• Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) by DSP
The installed digital noise reduction circuit provides 15 separate parameters. The noise reduction constants may be set to the optimal working point by varying the 15 step parameters according to the actual noise within the HF band. The desired signal components are peaked and the random noise components are effectively cancelled.
• IF NOTCH
This high Q circuit has steep attenuation characteristics of 70dB or more. Effective removal of a strong beat signal is obtained. The damping characteristics can be switched to wide or narrow band width, and the attenuation level may be adjusted in the Setting Mode Menu. Interfering signals may be attenuated, while minimizing the impact on the received signal.
• CW APF (Audio Peak Filter)
In the CW mode, the APF (Audio Peak Filter) function has an audio peak at the signal frequency; this improves the S/N and increases the readability of the CW signal. The APF peak frequency can be finely aligned.Roofing filters of 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz filters are fitted before the 40.455 MHz 1st IF. These filters reduce the later burden on the receiver mixer and improves the adjacent multi signal characteristics.Very Low Noise Floor - Terrific Signal to Noise RatioThe S/N ratio (signal-to-noise ratio) of the local signal that is injected into the 1st IF mixer is one of the most important factors for improving the receiver properties in the ultra-multi-signal environment.Three IPO Settings - Best Signal Reception During Changing Band Conditions
In the FT DX 1200, the combination of it's high stability and high accuracy 40 MHz TCXO (± 0.5ppm, -10 °C ~ +60 °C), and it's DDS create the fundamental frequency of this radio, and is locked to the PLL-IC and VCO directly. This circuit construction and method creates the highest quality local signal, with superior S/N performance.3-step IPO settings permit the operator to select the most appropriate gain for best signal reception. This variety of selections provides superior receiver performance and the best possible communications with changing band conditions.High Quality Audio With Punch
The IPO (Intercept Point Optimization) is selected by a control switch located on the front panel. The IPO selection determines the gain of the RF amplifier. The gain setting is very effective in optimizing the receiver performance, depending on the antenna and the communication propagation conditions. The IPO, the ATT and one stage of the RF amplifier are used to optimize the signal levels that are sent to the mixer.The modulation circuit of the FT DX 1200 utilizes digital variation operational modulation, which creates ideal high quality transmission audio.Two Antenna Inputs
• Microphone Amplifier that includes Parametric Equalizer
The modulation circuit of the FT DX 1200 utilizes the digital variation operational modulation type, which creates ideal high quality transmission audio. This radio has a parametric equalizer that makes possible versatile adjustment of the TX audio quality by aligning the TX band audio spectrum. The parametric equalizer can alter the Low, Mid and High part of the audio separately. This three stage parametric equalizer can generate high quality TX audio sound because it can be tuned in detail…without sacrificing the audio dignity.
• IF DSP Speech Processor – DX’er and Contester Proven
The SSB Speech Processor uses IF digital signal processing to increase the intelligibility of the transmitted signal during weak signal crowded conditions. The DSP increases the average power of the important speech spectrum components and reduces the TX power of the less significant components. Adjust the compression level in the Menu Mode to adapt the transmitted SSB signal to best suite your voice characteristics, the situation, propagation conditions and pile-up demands.Two antenna connectors are available on the FT DX 1200 Rear Panel.For the CW Enthusiast
• Having multiple antenna selections is an especially effective feature for DX and Contest operating.
• Antenna connection selections memorized and recalled when changing bands.
• It is possible to use Ant 1 for transmit and Ant 2 for receive.CW Zero-in DisplayOptional Fully-Automatic µ-Tuning Kit
The TX CW side tone pitch frequency can be adjusted in the MENU. The setting range is 300 Hz to 1050 Hz. This tone pitch is used as the reference in transmission. This means that the point, at which the TX pitch is equal to the RX pitch, becomes the zero-in point.
In addition, the FT DX 1200 has a CW tuning display feature. By using this function, as the pitch of the sound that is heard when receiving the CW signal becomes closer to the programmed pitch, the lighted mark moves closer to the center of the display. When the center mark light turns RED, the signal is at the zero-in point.
CW APF (Audio Peak Filter)
In the CW mode, the included APF (Audio Peak Filter) function has an audio peak at the signal frequency; this improves the S/N and increases the readability of the CW signal. The APF peak frequency can be finely aligned. APF bands can be selected from three steps according to preference, whereas peak frequencies can be fine-tuned with the APF switch located on the front panel.
Other CW Features
• Dial step setting (for the CW mode only)
• CW SPOT Feature
• CW Full Break-in
• CW “VOX” Delay is adjustable
• CW Mode reversal (USB or LSB)
• CW Keying available during SSB operation
• Separate KEY Jacks on the front and rear panels
• Electronic Keyer Included
• Four-channel Message Memory (50 characters each); five memories available with FH-2 Keypad (optional)
• Automatic “Beacon” keyer modeThe u-Tuning Kit that was developed for the FT DX 9000, is optionally available for use with the FT DX 1200. No other Amateur Radio transceiver manufacturer offers a comparable device that may improve your DXing performance in some challenging operating situations.
A large diameter with an adjustable ferrite magnetic material (Ni-Zn ferrite) core, is combined, with a high resolution and high torque stepping motor to automatically find the resonance point. By inserting these tuning units prior to the RF front end of the receiver, the IP3 points are improved by around 4 dB. Three individual tuning units are available covering frequencies from 1.8 MHz through 14 MHz. Many FT 950, FT 2000/D, FT DX 3000, FT DX 5000 and FT DX 9000 Yaesu customers have used them and found them especially effective for use on the Lower Bands.
Model Antennas FC-40 Antenna Tuner
Automatic Antenna Tuner (For Long Wire Antenna)
Packet Interface Cable
Antenna Rotator Connection Cable
Headsets YH-77STA Lightweight Stereo Headset for use with HF transcievers Microphones M-1
Dual Element Microphone
Microphone Stand Kit (microphone stand is not included).
MD-200A8X Desktop Microphone SCU-53
Cable 11.8" (300mm) for M-90MS Kit:
8 pin modular jack to round 8 pin plug
*SCU-35 cable is required only when connecting the M-90MS with the HF Transceivers equipped with a round 8-pin microphone connector.
Miscellaneous FH-2 Remote Control Keypad FH-2 Remote Control Keypad SCU-17
USB Interface Unit
Optional Boards DVS-6
Voice Memory Unit
Power Supplies FP-1023
Power Supply (23A)
Power Supply (30A)
Amateur Radio \ Amateur Product Images
FTDX 1200 Product Images ( 3.91 MB )
Amateur Radio \ Brochures \ HF/Satellite Transceivers and Amps
FT DX 1200 Series Brochure ( 5.87 MB )
M-1 Leaflet ( 1.14 MB )
Amateur Radio \ Manuals \ HF/Satellite Transceivers and Amps
SCU-17 USB Interface Unit Instruction Manual rev. 2018 ( 2.92 MB )
FTDX1200 Operating Manual (1703D-HS-2) ( 27.87 MB )
FTDX1200 Series CAT Operation Reference Book ( 940.65 KB )
FTDX1200 Spanish Operating Manual ( 29.56 MB )
M-1 Reference Microphone Operation Manual (2202F-CM-1) ( 2.95 MB )
RF µTuning Kit Operating Manual ( 364.45 KB )
Amateur Radio \ Software
FTDX1200 All current Firmware including the New Update TFT 9/28/17 ( 2.12 MB )
FTDX1200 Firmware Update Manual ( 388.03 KB )
FTDX1200 SCU-17 USB Driver Installation Manual (2202-E) ( 818.26 KB )
FTDX1200 Update Firmware Information 9/28/17 ( 154.64 KB )
FTDX1200 USB Driver Virtual COM Port Driver (Windows 11/10) ( 216.45 KB )
FTDX1200/ SCU-17 USB Driver (Virtual COM Port Driver) ( 3.74 MB )
PCC-1200 Software V01.02 and Reference Manual (7/24/15) ( 30.81 MB )
COPYRIGHT©2003-2022 Yaesu USA.